Sunday 10 November 2013

If you could know the future, would you choose to?

I am reading through the Game of Thrones series, and watching the DVD at the same time.

Then one day, I succumbed to temptation.

I looked up the internet to see what would happen in the future.  And I was paralysed.

I saw some things I liked, but also read about the suffering and even death of people I cared about.  Now I find my motivation to read on has been frozen.  I'm scared to progress to that future I know is inevitable.

And this got me musing...  Would I want God to tell me about the future?  My head says no!  But if I was sitting there with the forbidden fruit on offer, could I resist?  Of course, I don't think God would tempt me that way.  However, it helps me understand why God might not show us the future or answer all our questions when we demand to know.  How many of us long to know which job God wants us in, or where we are called to be.  Is this not some form of yearning to glimpse into the future?  The Old Testament spoke out strongly against fortune tellers and divination.  Perhaps this is in part to do with the power a prophetic word can have over someone's life.

But prophecy is not just about foretelling.  It is often about forth-telling.  It is hearing God's will for us today, in the here and now.

Perhaps, rather than longing for a glimpse into the future, I should direct more energy into seeking God in my today.  When has worrying about the future added even an hour to our lives?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for leaving a comment, even if it is to disagree! Please be courteous and remember that what you say can be read by others too.

To comment, write below and then select your profile from the drop-down menu. If you have no blogging profile, you can use name/url or post anonymously.